FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) has announced the world's first* launch, in July, of broadcast zoom lens that offers exceptional optical performance for use with 4K cameras. The latest release, “FUJINON UA80x9” (hereinafter “UA80x9”) is a 80x zoom lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths from 9mm in wide angle to 720mm in telephoto, making it ideal for the live coverage of sporting events and concerts.
The market needs for 4K video contents are surging amidst a 7-fold year-on-year increase in the shipment of 4K-compatible television sets to approx. 11.6 million units** last year and the launch of a dedicated 4K channel (CS satellite broadcasting) in Japan in March this year. Fujifilm's lineup of cine lenses has included the “HK series”***, which offers optical performance approximating to 8K systems, and “ZK series”***, which combines 4K optical performance and electric drive units*4. With solid reputation not only from the film industry, but also from broadcasters producing 4K contents, lenses in both “HK” and “ZK” series are frequently used in test 4K broadcasts for international sporting events. However, the broadcasting industry generally uses cameras equipped with a 2/3-inch sensor including 4K cameras with the same sensor size, and is therefore seeking compatible broadcast lenses that deliver advanced optical performance.
“UA80x9”, is a broadcast zoom lens compatible with 4K cameras. Using the cutting-edge optical simulation technology, the lens achieves an impressive 80x zoom as well as advanced optical performance such as high image resolution, contrast and color reproduction. Covering the focal length from 9mm in wide angle to 720mm in telephoto, the lens features a unique “optical stabilization mechanism” that provides optimum adjustment to image shakes caused by vibrations and wind, making it an excellent choice in live coverage of sporting events and concerts. The “floating focus system”, which controls multiple lens groups according to the shooting distance, delivers high-resolution and high-contrast images from close-up to infinity, enabling 4K video production with a high realistic sensation and premium picture quality. With the demand for accurate focusing needed for 4K resolution, Fujinon's new focus position demand unit*5, the EPD-31A, has improved from 12 bit to 16bit encoding.
FUJINON lenses by Fujifilm are known for advanced descriptive performance, contributing to the evolution of video imaging through their use in the production of TV programs, movies and commercials across the world. Fujifilm will continue to tap into its optical, high precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured over many years to develop and supply innovative products that address the diversifying needs of broadcasting production.
This product will be showcased at “NAB 2015”, a trade show of broadcasting equipment to be held in Las Vegas from April 13 to 16, 2015.
- * The world's first launch of broadcast zoom lens with optical performance for 2/3-inch format 4K broadcasting cameras.(Based on a survey by Fujifilm. As of 8th April 2015, in reference to public information)
- ** According to the British research company, Futuresource Consulting. The shipment is in global market.
- *** Using the PL mount, which is a lens mount for 16mm and 35mm cinema cameras by the world's leading cinema camera manufacturer, Arnold and Richter of Germany
- *4 For driving the zooming and focusing mechanisms to achieve the same level of operability as portable-type broadcast lenses, which generally use drive units
- *5 Controller for focusing
1. Product name : Broadcast zoom lens “FUJINON UA80x9 BE”Broadcast zoom lens “FUJINON UA80x9 BE”
2. Release date : July, 2015July, 2015
3. Main features :
- (1) Advanced optical performance that enables 4K compatibility under any shooting conditions
- The “floating focus system”, which controls multiple lens groups according to the shooting distance, minimizes performance variations caused by the change of shooting distance to deliver high resolution from close-up to infinity. It is combined with a unique zoom system that minimizes aberration across the zoom range to achieve advanced optical performance compatible with 4K under any shooting conditions.
- Fujifilm's proprietary multi-layer coating processing “High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating (HT-EBC)” is applied to the lens for enhanced tranmittance and color reproduction.
- (2) Powerful 4K footage with 80x zoom from 9mm in wide angle
- This lens covers a vast range of focal lengths from 9mm in wide angle to 720mm in telephoto, delivering outstanding performance in live coverage of sporting events and concerts to contribute to high realistic sensation in 4K video production.
- (3) Featuring the popular optical stabilization mechanism
- The lens features a unique “optical stabilization mechanism” that Fujifilm has applied to a range of high-magnification zoom lenses. It provides optimum adjustment to image shakes caused by vibration and wind to achieve stable footage.
- (4) Best suited focus demand for 4K shooting
- With the demand for accurate focusing needed for 4K resolution, Fujinon's new focus position demand unit, the EPD-31A, has improved from 12 bit to 16bit encoding.
- (5) Equipped with 16bit encoder*6
- The lens comes with the 16-bit encoder, capable of making a high-resolution output of lens data including zoom and focal position information. It can be linked with various other systems such as a virtual studio system for combining CG images with live action footage.
- *6 The sensor for converting position information into digital signals; Zoom and focus position data is divided in 16-bit resolution and output as electric signals.
5. Main specifications :
|Model name||UA80x9 BE|
|Camera specifications||2/3-inch sensor Bayonet-mount cameras|
|Focal length||9mm - 720mm
18mm - 1440mm when using the 2x extender
|F-No.||1.7 (9mm - 350mm) 3.5 (720mm)|
(at the M.O.D)
[Horizontal × Vertical]
|9mm 3303mm × 1856mm
720mm 43mm × 24mm
|18mm 1714mm × 963mm
1440mm 22mm × 12mm
when using the 2x extender
|Angle of view
[Horizontal × Vertical]
|9mm 56°6' × 33°20'
720mm 0°46 ' × 0°26'
|18mm 29°50' × 17°2'
1440mm 0°23' × 0°13'
when using the 2x extender
(H × W × L)
|258mm × 264mm × 610mm|