- Brings innovation to video production with the world's first 4K-compatible broadcast lens with AF function
- Achieving fast and accurate AF with the speed of 0.5 seconds and superior subject-tracking performance
- 107× ultra-high magnification zoom and unique image stabilization to produce vivid and premium-quality video
Tokyo, August 19, 2019 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the development of the 4K-compatible broadcast lens “FUJINON UA107×8.4BESM AF” (UA107×8.4 AF), the world's first 4K-compatible broadcast lens that features the AF function*. The UA107×8.4 AF is due to be released in the spring of 2020.
The UA107×8.4 AF is a box-type broadcast lens that incorporates the newly-developed phase-detection AF sensor, achieving fast and accurate auto-focus with the response speed of 0.5 seconds and outstanding capability in tracking a moving subject. It is built with the company's proprietary image stabilization mechanism and 107× ultra-magnification zoom that covers focal lengths from 8.4mm to 900mm. Its vivid color reproduction facilitates video recording of high image quality using high dynamic range (HDR), making it a perfect choice for covering live sports and music.
The UA107×8.4 AF allows the users to film premium-quality 4K video with ease which makes it an epoch-making product that will transform the way video is produced.
The penetration of 4K-compatible large-screen television in recent years has increased opportunities for enjoying ultra high-definition 4K video. Advanced skills are required for camera operators as manual focusing is normal at today's video production. Fujifilm has gone a step ahead of the rest of the world in developing a 4K-compatible broadcast lens equipped with AF function.
The UA107×8.4 AF is a 4K-compatible broadcast lens that uses the phase-detection AF sensor and its dedicated algorithm developed with technological expertise fostered with Fujifilm's X Series and GFX series of digital cameras. The UA107×8.4 AF achieves fast and accurate AF with the speed of 0.5 seconds and the excellent performance of subject tracking. It is built with the company's proprietary image stabilization mechanism and 107× zoom that covers focal lengths from 8.4mm in wide angle to 900mm in ultra telephoto. The UA107×8.4 AF allows to capture even a distant subject with minimal camera shake, making it the perfect choice for covering live sports and music. The design that completely controls various types of aberration and improved light transmittance results in vivid color reproduction and rich tonal gradation based on HDR, thereby enabling high quality video production.
Fujifilm will be exhibiting the UA107×8.4 AF at the Beijing International Radio, TV & Film Exhibition (BIRTV2019), to be held from August 21 to August 24, 2019.
FUJINON lenses developed by Fujifilm are known for high-quality images and have been used in various production sites including TV programs, movies and TV commercials around the world, contributing to the evolution of the cutting-edge field of video expression. Fujifilm will continue to tap into its optical, high-precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured over many years, thereby addressing the diversifying needs at the forefront of video production.
- *Among 4K-compatible broadcast lenses as of August 19, 2019, according to Fujifilm
1. Name of Developed product
Broadcast zoom lens “FUJINON UA107×8.4 BESM AF”
2. Main features
(1) The world's first 4K-compatible broadcast lens that features the AF function
- The UA107×8.4 AF features a phase-detection AF sensor and its dedicated algorithm developed with technological expertise fostered with Fujifilm's X Series and GFX series of digital cameras, to offer the “Advanced Focus” AF function, achieving fast and accurate auto-focus with the response speed of 0.5 seconds.
- The lens demonstrates outstanding subject-tracking AF performance. It allows the users to film the movie with ease even when filming a linearly-moving subject front on such as in field track events and swimming, because there is no need to manually adjust focus based on subject distance.
(2) Perfect for live sports coverage with the optical 107× zoom
- The lens offers 107× ultra-high magnification zoom, covering a broad range of focal lengths from 8.4mm in wide angle to 900mm in ultra telephoto, giving it the ability to capture a subject at a long distance.
- The lens uses the Floating Focus system, which controls multiple lens groups according to shooting distance, to minimize performance fluctuations based on differences in working distance, thereby delivering sharp footage from close-up to infinity.
(3) Unique optical image stabilization mechanism
- The use of unique optical image stabilization mechanism realizes the lens to deliver stable footage, accurately compensating for camera shakes caused by wind and vibrations with no time lag.
(4) Vivid color reproduction and HDR-based rich tonal gradation for superior video production
- The lens uses aspherical and fluorite elements** to effectively control various types of aberration.
- The company's “HT-EBC (High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating)” multi-layer coating boosts the rate of light transmittance. It makes it possible to deliver vivid color reproduction and HDR-based rich tonal gradation even under bright sun or at dusk, which involve a huge range of brightness levels, supporting video production of premium quality.
- **Lens element made of fluorite, which has a characteristically small chromatic dispersion in light transmittance and refractive indices. It enables optical design with minimal chromatic aberration.
(5) Natural bokeh achieved with nine-blade diaphragm
- The use of a nine-blade diaphragm achieves an aperture shape closer to a perfect circle. This creates beautiful soft lights and natural bokeh into the video expressions.
(6) Standard feature of a built-in 16bit encoders***
- The UA107×8.4 AF comes with built-in 16bit encoders, capable of outputting zoom / focus position and other lens data in high resolution. It can be linked to various systems such as a virtual studio for combining CG images with live video.
- ***A sensor that converts location data into digital signals. It divides the data in 16bit accuracy and feeds zoom / focus location data in the form of electric signals.
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Media Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
- Customer Contact:
- Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.