-The world's first 4K-compatible broadcast lens with AF capability
-Brings innovation to video production by fast and accurate AF with the speed of 0.5 seconds and superior subject-tracking performance
-Ultra-high 107x zoom and unique image stabilization to produce premium-quality video in live coverage of sports and other events
Tokyo, November 13, 2019 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON UA107×8.4BESM AF” (UA107×8.4 AF), the world's first* 4K-compatible broadcast lens that incorporates the AF function, in March 2020.
The UA107×8.4 AF is a box-type broadcast lens that delivers outstanding capability for tracking a moving subject and a fast and accurate auto-focus with AF speed as fast as 0.5 seconds. The lens's ultra-high 107× zoom ratio covering focal lengths from 8.4mm to 900mm and the use of a unique optical image stabilization mechanism allow users to accurately capture a distant moving subject and produce premium-quality video with minimal camera shake in live coverage of sporting or music events.
The UA107×8.4 AF is an epoch-making product that brings innovation to video production with its capability to record high-quality 4K video with ease of use and comfort.
- *Among 4K-compatible broadcast lenses as of November 13, 2019, according to Fujifilm data
Today, 4K video is primarily produced through manual focusing, which requires advanced skills on the part of camera operators. Amidst this situation, Fujifilm has gone a step ahead of the rest of the world in developing a revolutionary 4K-compatible broadcast lens, “UA107×8.4 AF” with AF function for easy autofocusing. The announcement of its development was well received in the industry.
[Highlights of the UA107×8.4 AF]
- The UA107×8.4 AF uses a phase-detection AF sensor and its dedicated algorithm, developed with technologies that Fujifilm has fostered with its X and GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras. The fast and accurate autofocus with AF speed as fast as 0.5 seconds gives the lens an outstanding subject-tracking performance. The advanced AF performance becomes evident when the users see the clarity of video in slow-motion replay, which tends to highlight focusing accuracy.
- The lens achieves a 107× zoom ratio covering focal lengths from 8.4mm in wide angle and 900mm in ultra-telephoto, and is equipped with a unique optical image stabilization mechanism, making it possible to accurately capture a distant moving subject and still produce stable video with minimal motion blur.
- The use of cutting-edge optical technology delivers vivid color reproduction and high contrast, creating rich tonal gradation based on high dynamic range (HDR).
Fujifilm will showcase this product at the International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition 2019 (Inter BEE 2019), to be held at Makuhari Messe in Chiba from November 13 to 15.
FUJINON lenses developed by Fujifilm are known for high-quality images and have been used on various production sites including TV programs, movies and TV commercials around the world, contributing to the evolution of the cutting-edge field of video expression. The company will continue to tap into its optical, high-precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured over many years to develop and supply leading-edge products, thereby addressing the diversifying needs at the forefront of video production.
1. Product name, release date and price
|Product name||Release date||Price|
|Broadcast zoom lens
“FUJINON UA107×8.4BESM AF”
2. Main features
(1) The world's first 4K-compatible broadcast lens with AF capability
- The UA107×8.4 AF features a fast and accurate autofocus system called “Advanced Focus” with AF speed as fast as 0.5 seconds, using a phase-detection AF sensor and its dedicated algorithm, developed with technologies that Fujifilm has fostered with its X and GFX Series of digital cameras. Its advanced AF performance becomes evident when the users see the clarity of video in slow-motion replay, which tends to highlight focusing accuracy.
- The AF system achieves outstanding subject-tracking performance. It allows the users to film the video with ease even when filming a linearly-moving subject front on such as motor sports and track-and-field events as there is no need to manually adjust focus based on subject distance.
(2) Ultra-high-magnification 107× zoom
- The lens offers an ultra-high 107× zoom ratio, covering focal lengths from 8.4mm in wide angle to 900mm in ultra-telephoto, making it possible to capture a subject from a distant location.
- When fitted with the lens-operation accessory, “High Speed Servo Module for Zoom Control” (available for separate purchase), the lens can zoom from the wide angle end to the telephoto end in just 0.35 seconds. The feature, combined with the lens's fast and accurate AF capability, makes it even easier to capture a fast-moving subject.
(3) Unique optical image stabilization mechanism
- The lens features high-performance optical image stabilizer, which has established a solid reputation in other high-magnification zoom lenses. Image shakes, caused by wind or vibrations in the users' footing, are accurately compensated to deliver stable video with no time lag.
(4) Advanced image resolution and rich tonal gradation
- The lens uses aspherical and fluorite** elements to effectively control various types of aberration. It also has the Floating Focus system, which controls multiple lens groups according to shooting distance, to minimize performance fluctuations based on differences in working distance, thereby delivering sharp video from close-up to infinity.
- Fujifilm's “HT-EBC (High Transmittance Electron Beam Coating)” multi-layer coating boosts the rate of light transmittance, producing vivid color reproduction and high contrast and enabling video of rich tonal gradation using HDR.
- **Lens element made of fluorite, which has a characteristically small chromatic dispersion in light transmittance and refractive indices. It enables optical design with minimal chromatic aberration.
(5) Natural bokeh achieved with nine-blade diaphragm
- The use of a nine-blade diaphragm achieves an aperture shape closer to a perfect circle. This creates beautiful soft lights and natural bokeh into the video expressions.
(6) Stock-standard 16bit encoder***
- The lens comes with built-in 16bit encoders, capable of outputting zoom / focus position and other lens data in high resolution. This makes it possible to link the lens to various systems such as a virtual studio for combining CG images with live video.
- ***A sensor that converts location data into digital signals. It divides the data in 16bit accuracy and feeds zoom / focus location data in the form of electric signals.
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Media Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
- Customer Contact:
- Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.